No one really loves to visit the dentist, but some people deal with anxiety or fear of undergoing dental treatment. For some, worrying about undergoing a procedure on their teeth keeps them from evening heading to the dentist, which means they aren’t getting the dental care they need. At Concord Advanced Dentistry, we offer sedation dentistry designed to help patients overcome fear and anxiety to get the treatment they need for a beautiful smile.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry involves using some sedative to relax patients, so they’re able to undergo treatment, whether they need routine care or restorative or cosmetic procedures. Patients are monitored carefully the entire time, and most people have little memory of what even happened during the visit. Sedation not only helps individuals who may be fearful or anxious, but it’s great for making long, more complex procedures bearable, so you require fewer appointments to complete dental work.
Common procedures that can be done while you’re sedated include:
- Orthodontic treatments
- Denture fittings
- Application of porcelain veneers
- Dental crown placement
- Root canals
- Gum recontouring
- Dental cleanings
- Teeth whitening procedures
- Placement of a new dental crown
- And more
With sedation dentistry, any of these treatments can be done without discomfort, ensuring you have the best possible experience in our office.
Who’s a Candidate for Sleep Dentistry?
Are you a good candidate for sleep dentistry? It may be a good option for you if you:
- Have a hard time getting numb for dental procedures
- Have a bad gag reflex
- Fear shots or needles
- Tend to be embarrassed about your teeth
- Have dealt with traumatic dental experiences in the past
- Experience anxiety or fear of visiting the dentist
- Deal with more complex dental issues
- Have a negative reaction to tastes, smells, or noises that come with routine dental care
Different Types of In-Office Sedation Dentistry
If you’re interested in sedation dentistry, our Concord dentist will discuss the available options with you. The right type of sedation may vary depending on your medical history, the type and amount of work being done, and your level of anxiety and discomfort. Some of the different types of in-office sedation include:
- Nitrous Oxide – Sometimes called laughing gas, nitrous oxide works well for many individuals and offers an effective, safe way to relax you and eliminate your fear, so you’re comfortable during your dental visit. You’re still able to drive after being treated with nitrous oxide.
- Conscious Sedation – With conscious sedation, you’ll be conscious throughout the procedure, but it uses prescription medications to sedate you deeply. Due to the medications’ effects, you’ll need to have someone with you to drive you home.
- I.V. Sedation – I.V. sedation – which is the highest level – results in you being only semi-conscious or fully unconscious during your treatment. It offers a comfortable experience and is useful for extended or drastic procedures or individuals who face extreme fear.
To find out what level of sedation dentistry may work well for your needs, contact us today to set up your appointment. We’re happy to talk with you about how we can work together to overcome your anxiety and fear so you can enjoy a healthy smile.